Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Drunken Chicken

According to Wikipedia, Drunken chicken is the name given to several different ways of preparing chicken using alcoholic beverages.

In Chinese cuisine, drunken chicken (Traditional Chinese: 醉雞; Simplified Chinese: 醉鸡; pinyin: zuìjī) is a unique cold meat dish. The whole chicken is first steamed and then chopped up into pieces appropriately sized for picking up by chopsticks. It is usually cooked with scallions, ginger and salt. The resulting meat juices are kept with the meat. The chicken pieces are allowed to cool. Then some liquor is poured over the cooked pieces. The liquor might be Chinese wine, sherry or hard liquor like whiskey. The meat marinades in the liquor overnight in the refrigerator. The dish is served chilled, often as an appetizer. Besides the liquor-flavored meat, another feature of the dish is the liquor-flavored gelatin that results from the chilled mixture of the alcohol and the cooking juices.

Looking back, the last time I had chilled drunken chicken (without the soup) was quite sometime ago, and I had it with my family at Dragon-i. It was delicious and I liked it a lot. Anyway, the main reason I posted this today is because I had drunken chicken soup for dinner yesterday and I gotta say it satisfied my taste buds. Well, I used to dislike it (even hated it due to the aroma) but as time goes by, I'm beginning to like it more and more. After all, drunken chicken itself or soup is good indeed as it fortifies your body system & boost your blood circulation. :)

Drinking alcoholic beverages may get me drunk, but drinking drunken chicken soup is fine, so yeah, give me a bowl of that... anytime, tee-hee! :P

No comments: