Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Music Personality

I love music and I listen to music almost every day. I listen to music when I feel low, when I'm happy, when I'm moody, when I'm restless, when I'm angry, when I'm bored or simply, whatever mood I'm in. Well, I strongly feel without music, life is pretty dull and boring.

As I was browsing the web, I came across an article about personality and music. According to a research, there are four categories of music which people fall into - Reflective or Complex music, Fun & Simple music, Edgy and Aggressive music, and Energetic and Upbeat music. And below are the kind of music that may be related to your personality.

Reflective or Complex music: such as Classical, Blues, Jazz, and Folk music

  • Open to new experiences, creative, intellectual, and enjoy trying new things. In politics, they tend to lean toward the liberal side.
  • Wisdom, diversity, and fine arts are all important to them.
  • When it comes to lifestyle, high scorers in this category tend to be sophisticated, and relatively well off financially.
  • After a hard day of work, if they're not listening to music or reading a book, they enjoy documentary films, independent, classic, or foreign films.


Fun and Simple: : such as Pop, Religious, Country, and Soundtrack music

  • Tend to being introverted, unconventional, and artistic.
  • When it comes to morals and values, chances are that they lean toward the liberal side.
  • Consider beauty and inner harmony important principles in life.
  • When selecting a movie to watch, they prefer suspense movies, cult movies,or foreign films.


Edgy and aggressive music: such as Alternative, Rock, and Heavy Metal music

  • Don't get their 'kicks' on skydiving or rock climbing.
  • They tend to be friendly, less assertive than the average person, and conventional.
  • They tend to place a lot of importance on family security, salvation, and tranquility.
  • When they're not listening to music, watching television, or reading a book, they probably enjoy watching a dramatic movie, major motion picture, romance movie, or classic film.


Energetic upbeat music: such as Hip-hop, Rap, Funk, Soul, and Electronic

  • Introverted, less assertive than the average person, and detail oriented.
  • As for politics and values, they tend to lean to the conservative side, and value intellect, ambition, and high art.
  • When it comes to lifestyle, low scorers on the energetic and upbeat dimension often come from the middle and upper classes.
  • When they're not reading, they're probably watching a romance movie, classic film, or western movie.

Well, I love all type of music, as a result, I fall into all categories and the question is, does music really reflect or have to do with personality? Although the indications above are pretty accurate and true, it reflects but just a small portion out of it. After all, music is not a core factor for evaluating a person's personality as there are other important factors in life that should put in consideration as well.

And now, I shall go as I need to feed Baby Zen.

No comments: